Domains to assess school readiness
What domains can be used to assess school readiness?
- Physical well-being and sensory motor development, including health status and growth.
- Social and emotional development, including self-regulation, attention, impulse control, capacity to limit aggressive and disruptive behaviors, turn-taking, cooperation, empathy, and the ability to communicate one’s own emotions; identification of feelings facilitates accurate communication of these feelings.
- Approaches to learning, including enthusiasm, curiosity, temperament, culture, and values.
- Language development, including listening, speaking, and vocabulary, as well as literacy skills, including print awareness, story sense, and writing and drawing processes.
- General knowledge and cognition, including early literacy and math skills.