The initiative captures information on patients diagnosed with respiratory illness or SARS-CoV-2, providing details on demographics, comorbidity and treatment. Data is collected from 40 sites participating in PCORnet, the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network.
- Develop partnership between CDC, PCORnet and PHII for COVID-19 surveillance using data from electronic health records
- Maintain and update a filtered common data model of patients with respiratory illnesses and SARS-CoV-2 testing every two weeks
- Respond to queries every two weeks to assess patients with COVID-19 diagnoses, influenza diagnoses and SARS-CoV-2 testing
- Respond to advanced analytic queries focused on predictors of admission/readmission, disease severity and COVID-19 sequelae
key partners and roles
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) serves as the project sponsor.
- PHII, a program of the Task Force for Global Health, provides project management, contract management and communications support.
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC) serves as the data coordinating center and leads development, execution and generation of surveillance queries. HPHC also captures data for advanced analytics.
- Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) provides strategic direction and support for the initiative and contributes data for surveillance queries.
June’s webinar provided an update on current and future queries, manuscripts and other publications under developement and details for the scope for the second year of the project.
*Note: The June webinar recording and transcript contain data that have not been shared publicly. Once that data has been made public, the webinar and transcript will be made available.
Queries will be sent to sites every two weeks. The first query per month will examine characteristics of patients with COVID-19 cumulatively since the beginning of the pandemic. The second query per month will be split between short window look-backs and other queries examining discrete questions that emerge as CDC priorities. A tentative schedule is provided below.
CDC COVID Query Schedule
Query Release Day: January 27
Query: Long COVID query
Query Release Day: February 10
Query: Cumulative query
Query Release Day: March 1
Query: Chronic disease control query
CDC COVID Query Schedule
Query Release Week: November 30
Query Release Week: December 14
Query Release Week: January 4, January 18
Query Release Week: February 1, February 16