The initiative captures information on patients diagnosed with respiratory illness or SARS-CoV-2, providing details on demographics, comorbidity and treatment. Data is collected from 40 sites participating in PCORnet, the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network.
- Develop partnership between CDC, PCORnet and PHII for COVID-19 surveillance using data from electronic health records
- Maintain and update a filtered common data model of patients with respiratory illnesses and SARS-CoV-2 testing every two weeks
- Respond to queries every two weeks to assess patients with COVID-19 diagnoses, influenza diagnoses and SARS-CoV-2 testing
- Respond to advanced analytic queries focused on predictors of admission/readmission, disease severity and COVID-19 sequelae
key partners and roles
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) serves as the project sponsor.
- PHII, a program of the Task Force for Global Health, provides project management, contract management and communications support.
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC) serves as the data coordinating center and leads development, execution and generation of surveillance queries. HPHC also captures data for advanced analytics.
- Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) provides strategic direction and support for the initiative and contributes data for surveillance queries.
The December webinar covered updates on the long COVID, immunization, death and disease severity queries. Additional topics include an update on the short-term approach for patient-level data, potential queries for 2022 and an update on the progress of manuscripts submitted for publication.
June’s webinar provided an update on current and future queries, manuscripts and other publications under developement and details for the scope for the second year of the project.
*Note: The June webinar recording and transcript contain data that have not been shared publicly. Once that data has been made public, the webinar and transcript will be made available.
Queries will be sent to sites once to twice a month. A tentative schedule is provided below.
Week of Nov. 8, 2021: Creating cohorts from immunization and death tables
Week of Nov. 29, 2021: Chronic disease and severe COVID regression
Week of Dec. 13, 2021: COVID and chronic disease outcomes
Week of Jan. 3, 2022: Admissions/readmissions regression
Week of Jan. 17, 2022: Patient-level data query