DMI directors from 64 jurisdictions, who are recipients of the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Prevention and Control of Emerging Infectious Diseases (ELC) cooperative agreement, take part in community calls.
“The information and resources shared via this community are invaluable…I always learn something and connect with another jurisdiction that I can collaborate with.” — DMI Learning Community members
The DMI Learning Community calls:
- Provide a deeper understanding of the overall data modernization initiative,
- Share practical knowledge, skills, and resources,
- Build partnerships with colleagues in the area of data modernization,
- Engage with peers to share best practices, and
- Collaborate to identify solutions to common challenges.
A project collaboration workspace, Circle houses meeting materials and recordings, documents and files, and facilitates interactive conversations through the use of message boards and forums. Between the learning community monthly calls and the interactive Circle site, staff have multiple avenues to collaborate with other jurisdictions working on similar data modernization projects.
Data collected via polls and brief surveys conducted after DMI Learning Community calls indicated that the vast
majority of respondents found the information presented to be relevant to their work. Survey respondents also reported making progress on key DMI priorities and indicated that the DMI learning activities contributed to the progress their jurisdictions have made on these key priority areas.
Learning community calls are specifically for data modernization initiative directors or the core team involved in building data modernization capabilities and capacity within their health department. There is no limit to how many staff from each jurisdiction can sign-up for these calls.
The DMI Learning Community gathers together to collaborate and share approaches and solutions to common DMI challenges such as:
- Machine learning
- Data lakes
- Organizational structure
- Health equity
- Intra-agency collaboration
- Master Patient Indices
- Cloud migration
- Shared Services
- Public Health and Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR)
- North Star Architecture
Calls occur on the third Thursday of every month, unless otherwise specified, and last one hour, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET.
JOIN THE DMI LEARNING COMMUNITY
LEARNING COMMUNITY TESTIMONIALS
- “I loved being able to hear from other states over the past year…having people to bounce things off of and understanding that we are all in the same boat is very helpful.”
- “Great resource…I appreciate hearing about other jurisdictions and their approaches.”
- “Keep up the activities and discussions. I always learn something and connect with another jurisdiction that I can collaborate with!”
Frequently asked questions
Download full FAQ document.